“If there is a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, you must be the one to write it.” —Toni Morrison
2/10: Alex Lahners, Ben Maynor and Lydia Craven
2/11: Brie Biddle
2/12: Tucker Kelly and CC Burlington
We will be hosting another Fishing Club meeting on Tuesday the 14th in the cafeteria expansion! The meeting will be during office hours. Hope to see you all there! If you have any questions feel free to reach out. firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
Welcome our Honor Council for 2023-2024
***Be a Special Olympics Volunteer!
Cannon School has been asked to take 20-30 Upper School students to volunteer at Special Olympics Spring Games on Wednesday, April 19th. We are looking for responsible and energetic students to volunteer as athlete buddies. Buddies help athletes get to their events and cheer them on. This will be a fun and impactful day for student volunteers. If you are interested in attending as a buddy, please fill out this application form no later than March 3rd. If you have any questions, please see Mrs. Weakland
Spring 2023 Driver Education Program (Virtual)
This year, Cannon School has contracted with a local company to offer a virtual driver education program during the spring semester. Classes and behind-the-wheel instruction will be provided by WatsOnWheels (https://www.watsonwheelsnc.com/). WatsOnWheels has agreed to offer Cannon students a discount and provide the course for $350 per student. The classes will be held Monday, March 20st – Friday, March 31st from 4:00 – 7:00 (virtually), and the maximum number of spaces available is 25.
Students must be 14½ years of age when the classes begin to be eligible to register. To complete the class, students must have thirty hours of class time and six hours of behind-the-wheel instruction. We hope to offer another class in the fall through WatsOnWheels, but we have yet to schedule specific dates.
After the class portion is complete, the instructor will coordinate with students individually to complete the behind-the-wheel requirements during their school drop periods or after school hours.
The $450 fee is due on the first day of class and may be charged to the student’s Cannon School account or paid in the form of a check made out to “Watson Wheels LLC”.
To register for the spring driver education class, please complete this Google Form
If you were unable to attend the Student Council interest meeting, but would like to run for an officer position (President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, or Public Relations Director), here are important deadlines to keep in mind:
- Thursday, February 16th: Candidate Sign-off sheet due/Position confirmation due to Dean Williams at 3 p.m. (sheet can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BP5xhkaccLvtv3ZYmP2Fng92O_GkeWPV/view?usp=sharing)
- Friday, February 24th: Campaign posters may go up
- Friday, March 3rd: Speeches are due at 3 p.m. to Dean Williams
- Wednesday, March 8th: Election Day (speeches are delivered during Community Meeting)
RHO KAPPA, Social Studies Honor Society is the only national organization for high school juniors and seniors that recognizes excellence in the field of Social Studies. RHO KAPPA provides national recognition and opportunities for exploration in the social studies.
The mission and purpose of this organization is:
- to promote scholarship and to recognize academic excellence in social studies in secondary school environments and the community.
- to provide through its local chapters opportunities for exploration in the social studies in secondary school environments and the community.
- to encourage interest in, understanding of, and appreciation for the social studies.
Candidates for membership should:
- Have been in attendance at the school in which the chapter resides for the equivalent of one semester prior to being considered.
- Have completed four semesters of courses in the field of social studies and be prepared to complete at least six semesters. The minimum grade point average for these courses is a weighted 3.67 or the numerical equivalent.
- Have an overall cumulative unweighted GPA of 3.5 or the numerical equivalent.
- Have a proven track record of interest and participation in service-related activities.
- Have a proven track record of strong attendance and positive contribution to a community of learning in a social studies classroom.
If you meet the requirements listed above, please request an application from Ms. Huffman at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday 13 February 2023 at 3 pm. Applications are due back to Ms. Huffman no later than Tuesday 21 February 2023 at 3pm. Questions? Speak with any Social Studies teacher.
Course Registration Key Dates!
- Wednesday, February 1 at 3 p.m. – 2023-2024 Course Recommendation Forms become viewable on YOUR My Backpack account under “My Forms
- Friday, February 3- Upper School Course Registration opens on My BackPack.
- Friday, March 24 – Last day of course registration
- Thursday, April 13 – Last day to submit course petitions
If you have any questions about course registration, please review this presentation from student life and contact Mrs. Snowfrock (email@example.com).
Looking for experienced female musicians (keyboardists, bassists, guitarists, or drummers) to start a girl rock band at Cannon. If interested, email: WNeedham@cannonschool.org
Reserve Your Seats for Freaky Friday!
Cannon Theater Company will perform Disney’s Freaky Friday: The Musical on February 16, 17, and 18 at 7:00 p.m. All tickets are by reservation only and can be purchased/reservedby clicking here, finding the link on Cannon’s website, or scanning the QR code on the posters around the school.
When a teenage girl and her mother become trapped in each other’s bodies for a day due to a magical mishap, hilariously awkward situations and dramatic revelations ensue. The show’s infectious pop-musical score heightens both the fun and frustrations of its central duo, and provides opportunities for the friends and family members who accompany them through the day’s craziness to shine as well.
Councilwoman Marjorie Molina is hosting the event.
The Cultural act will occur this Friday, February 17, 2023, at 6:30 p.m. at the New Science Center Auditorium at Johnson C. Smith University, 100 Beatties Ford Rd, Charlotte, NC 28216.
Seniors, Juniors & Sophomores are invited to sign-up in SCOIR for visits with College Admission Representatives. Representatives have the option to visit Cannon School in-person or via Zoom. Check SCOIR for the most up-to-date listing of college representative visits and to learn in what format they will visit Cannon. Use this Zoom Meeting Link to connect for virtual visits. You may come to The Cube if you are on campus during the rep visit and need a place to log into the Zoom session. We recommend you bring headphones for the Zoom visit! For the full remaining schedule, CLICK HERE.