“He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.” —Muhammad Ali
Kenlee Griffin, Morgan Brown, Chase Hensley, and Madison Kirby demonstrated PASSION for Cannon School by leading the Class of 2023 Senior Gift Committee. We appreciate your dedication to our community!
***Cannon Baseball is looking for a student-manager for the spring baseball season. The ideal student manager should meet the following criteria:
- Currently in grade 9-12 at Cannon
- Basic understanding of baseball rules
- Available for all baseball games and practices starting 2/13 or shortly after
- Experience with using spreadsheets and relevant technology
Student managers will work directly with Cannon baseball players and coaches during practices and games to improve operations and efficiency of the baseball program. Duties may include (but are not limited to): field/facility prep for practices and games, recording video for player highlights and analysis, charting/counting pitches during games, keeping track of team equipment, and relaying information from coaches to players.
Anyone interested in being a student manager for the baseball team should email Baseball Program Director Matt Kelly (firstname.lastname@example.org) by THIS FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 10TH citing interest in the position.
If you were unable to attend the Student Council interest meeting, but would like to run for an officer position (President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, or Public Relations Director), here are important deadlines to keep in mind:
- Thursday, February 16th: Candidate Sign-off sheet due/Position confirmation due to Dean Williams at 3 p.m. (sheet can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BP5xhkaccLvtv3ZYmP2Fng92O_GkeWPV/view?usp=sharing)
- Friday, February 24th: Campaign posters may go up
- Friday, March 3rd: Speeches are due at 3 p.m. to Dean Williams
- Wednesday, March 8th: Election Day (speeches are delivered during Community Meeting)
RHO KAPPA, Social Studies Honor Society is the only national organization for high school juniors and seniors that recognizes excellence in the field of Social Studies. RHO KAPPA provides national recognition and opportunities for exploration in the social studies.
The mission and purpose of this organization is:
- to promote scholarship and to recognize academic excellence in social studies in secondary school environments and the community.
- to provide through its local chapters opportunities for exploration in the social studies in secondary school environments and the community.
- to encourage interest in, understanding of, and appreciation for the social studies.
Candidates for membership should:
- Have been in attendance at the school in which the chapter resides for the equivalent of one semester prior to being considered.
- Have completed four semesters of courses in the field of social studies and be prepared to complete at least six semesters. The minimum grade point average for these courses is a weighted 3.67 or the numerical equivalent.
- Have an overall cumulative unweighted GPA of 3.5 or the numerical equivalent.
- Have a proven track record of interest and participation in service-related activities.
- Have a proven track record of strong attendance and positive contribution to a community of learning in a social studies classroom.
If you meet the requirements listed above, please request an application from Ms. Huffman at email@example.com no later than Monday 13 February 2023 at 3 pm. Applications are due back to Ms. Huffman no later than Tuesday 21 February 2023 at 3pm. Questions? Speak with any Social Studies teacher.
Course Registration Key Dates!
- Wednesday, February 1 at 3 p.m. – 2023-2024 Course Recommendation Forms become viewable on YOUR My Backpack account under “My Forms
- Friday, February 3- Upper School Course Registration opens on My BackPack.
- Friday, March 24 – Last day of course registration
- Thursday, April 13 – Last day to submit course petitions
If you have any questions about course registration, please review this presentation from student life and contact Mrs. Snowfrock (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Looking for experienced female musicians (keyboardists, bassists, guitarists, or drummers) to start a girl rock band at Cannon. If interested, email: WNeedham@cannonschool.org
Reserve Your Seats for Freaky Friday!
Cannon Theater Company will perform Disney’s Freaky Friday: The Musical on February 16, 17, and 18 at 7:00 p.m. All tickets are by reservation only and can be purchased/reserved by clicking here, finding the link on Cannon’s website, or scanning the QR code on the posters around the school.
When a teenage girl and her mother become trapped in each other’s bodies for a day due to a magical mishap, hilariously awkward situations and dramatic revelations ensue. The show’s infectious pop-musical score heightens both the fun and frustrations of its central duo, and provides opportunities for the friends and family members who accompany them through the day’s craziness to shine as well.
Councilwoman Marjorie Molina is hosting the event.
The Cultural act will occur this Friday, February 17, 2023, at 6:30 p.m. at the New Science Center Auditorium at Johnson C. Smith University, 100 Beatties Ford Rd, Charlotte, NC 28216.
Seniors, Juniors & Sophomores are invited to sign-up in SCOIR for visits with College Admission Representatives. Representatives have the option to visit Cannon School in-person or via Zoom. Check SCOIR for the most up-to-date listing of college representative visits and to learn in what format they will visit Cannon. Use this Zoom Meeting Link to connect for virtual visits. You may come to The Cube if you are on campus during the rep visit and need a place to log into the Zoom session. We recommend you bring headphones for the Zoom visit! For the full remaining schedule, CLICK HERE.