“Keep feeling the need for being important. Keep feeling the need for being first. But I want you to be the first in love… be the first in moral excellence…be the first in generosity.” – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Ava Arledge demonstrated KINDNESS when she authentically and organically paid a compliment to a student walking down the hall.
Skylar Couture demonstrated INTEGRITY when she turned in rings she found in the bathroom. Thanks, Skylar!
Trin Mathis demonstrated INTEGRITY when she picked up a phone someone left behind and made sure to turn it in. Thanks, Trin!!
***RHO KAPPA, Social Studies Honor Society is the only national organization for high school juniors and seniors that recognizes excellence in the field of Social Studies. RHO KAPPA provides national recognition and opportunities for exploration in the social studies.
The mission and purpose of this organization is:
- to promote scholarship and to recognize academic excellence in social studies in secondary school environments and the community.
- to provide through its local chapters opportunities for exploration in the social studies in secondary school environments and the community.
- to encourage interest in, understanding of, and appreciation for the social studies.
Candidates for membership should:
- Have been in attendance at the school in which the chapter resides for the equivalent of one semester prior to being considered.
- Have completed four semesters of courses in the field of social studies and be prepared to complete at least six semesters. The minimum grade point average for these courses is a weighted 3.67 or the numerical equivalent.
- Have an overall cumulative unweighted GPA of 3.5 or the numerical equivalent.
- Have a proven track record of interest and participation in service-related activities.
- Have a proven track record of strong attendance and positive contribution to a community of learning in a social studies classroom.
If you meet the requirements listed above, please request an application from Ms. Huffman at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday 13 February 2023 at 3 pm. Applications are due back to Ms. Huffman no later than Tuesday 21 February 2023 at 3pm. Questions? Speak with any Social Studies teacher.
Course Registration Key Dates!
- Wednesday, February 1 at 3 p.m. – 2023-2024 Course Recommendation Forms become viewable on YOUR My Backpack account under “My Forms
- Friday, February 3- Upper School Course Registration opens on My BackPack.
- Friday, March 24 – Last day of course registration
- Thursday, April 13 – Last day to submit course petitions
If you have any questions about course registration, please review this presentation from student life and contact Mrs. Snowfrock (email@example.com).
Starting next week, and for the next 6-8 weeks, Mrs. Bullard will be our nurse in the Upper School every Monday and Wednesday. She will set up a make-shift Nurse’s Office in the third study room in the US Library.
Looking for experienced female musicians (keyboardists, bassists, guitarists, or drummers) to start a girl rock band at Cannon. If interested, email: WNeedham@cannonschool.org
Click HERE to view the January Edition of the CUSP or pick up a copy around campus!
In this edition there are a multitude of articles to be read. From Senior trip debates around Disney versus Universal, Cannon’s Policy of Chinese New Year, a Winterm recap, the representation of arts and athletics at Cannon, a film spotlight of Avatar Way of Water, the 2023 FAA shutdown, January National Holidays, resolution struggles, a discussion on adolescent mental health, and more, there is something for all to discover.
– The CUSP Editorial Board
Students wishing to serve on next year’s Honor Council should reach out and speak with either Mrs. Lineberger or Dean Booker and submit a speech by Tuesday Feb 7, no later than 3pm.
***Reserve Your Seats for Freaky Friday!
Cannon Theater Company will perform Disney’s Freaky Friday: The Musical on February 16, 17, and 18 at 7:00 p.m. All tickets are by reservation only and can be purchased/reserved by clicking here, finding the link on Cannon’s website, or scanning the QR code on the posters around the school.
When a teenage girl and her mother become trapped in each other’s bodies for a day due to a magical mishap, hilariously awkward situations and dramatic revelations ensue. The show’s infectious pop-musical score heightens both the fun and frustrations of its central duo, and provides opportunities for the friends and family members who accompany them through the day’s craziness to shine as well.
Seniors, Juniors & Sophomores are invited to sign-up in SCOIR for visits with College Admission Representatives. Representatives have the option to visit Cannon School in-person or via Zoom. Check SCOIR for the most up-to-date listing of college representative visits and to learn in what format they will visit Cannon. Use this Zoom Meeting Link to connect for virtual visits. You may come to The Cube if you are on campus during the rep visit and need a place to log into the Zoom session. We recommend you bring headphones for the Zoom visit! For the full remaining schedule, CLICK HERE.
CAFTA Senior Art Scholarship Application
Scholarship Award: CAFTA will award a minimum of one scholarship, for a minimum of $2000 to a Cannon Senior.
Qualifications: A student must be a senior who is or has been enrolled for at least two years in a visual art, music, or theater program at Cannon.
Selection Criteria: The CAFTA Board will consider the application provided by the student as well as the student’s ability to convey leadership in the arts and/or art classes, character or dedication to the arts, and individual artistic skill.
Class of 2023 CAFTA Scholarship Application
Due by 3 pm on March 1, 2023
Student Name: Email Address:
Résumé: Please submit your full resume including all your art experiences and art awards (include MS and US; art courses, art related clubs and art related extracurricular activities and service).
Essays: Answer each of the following questions in a short paragraph (250-350 words each):
- How have the Arts at Cannon impacted you?
- How has Cannon been affected by your art or your involvement in art-related activities?
- Provide copies of your artwork, writing, recording of a performance or audition, etc. You can submit these optional materials using the CAFTA Scholarship Artwork Submission Form.
- Provide a letter of reference. The reference must be art related. The reference may be external or from someone at Cannon, i.e., any person who can attest to your passion for art. Family members are not permitted to provide a reference. The reference must be emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org and must specify the applicant’s full name.
Applications and supporting materials must be submitted to email@example.com by 3 pm on March 1, 2023.
Add CAFTA Scholarship Application in the subject line of your email.