“Life is not so much what you accomplish as what you overcome.” -Robin Roberts
Colin Bullard and Tag DuMond showed KINDNESS as they offered to take trays back to the dining hall.
***Model UN members: please attend our MUNday meeting during lunch in the Library Annex to hear from our members who just attended JHUMUNC! This will be a valuable opportunity to hear about higher-level competition, first-time experiences in crisis, and traveling team adventures. Come ready with questions! See you MONDAY! ***Team members going to NYC: please work with Mr. K on your position papers and remember those are due February 14!!!!!***
This a reminder that applications for Mu Alpha Theta—the math honor society—are due to Mr. Scurlock no later than Tuesday, February 18th. Please print the application at https://bit.ly/2Osif1j. If you have questions, please reach out to your math teacher.
To be inducted into Mu Alpha Theta a student must meet all of the following criteria.
A student must:
- Be a junior or senior.
- Have completed any level of Precalculus.
- Have been enrolled at Cannon for one full year.
- Enrolled in or completed an AP math course
- Have earned a 3.7 unweighted GPA in all math courses.
- Have earned a 3.5 unweighted GPA all courses.
- Complete the application by the posted deadline
Bright Star Opens Next Week!
Cannon Theater Company invites you to experience our winter musical “Bright Star”, running next week Thursday, Friday, and Saturday Feb 13-15 at 7:00pm. Inspired by a true story and featuring the Tony-nominated score by Steve Martin and Edie Brickell, Broadway’s “Bright Star” tells an uplifting tale of love and redemption set against the rich backdrop of North Carolina in the 1920s and ‘40s. A team of 33 performers, 10 crew members, and 10 musicians (not to mention the dozens of other students, faculty, and parents who have been involved) have been working hard to bring this beautiful story to life and are excited to share it with you. Admission is free for Cannon families, faculty, staff and alumni, $10 for guests. Tickets will be sold at the door.
Freshman, Sophomores, and Juniors: Election season is beginning! If you live a life of HONOR and would like to help Cannon School’s Honor Council, please stop by to meet with either Ms. Beth Lineberger or Dean Booker to discuss this opportunity. Speeches need to be submitted by February 21st at 4pm.
Trouble getting or staying organized? Difficulty managing your time? Need an accountability partner to help keep your goals on track? Looking for some fresh work or study space scenery? Absences or early dismissals got you feeling behind? How can Academic Coaching at Cannon (ACC) help you push to a strong finish for Trimester 2?
Sign up for an academic coaching session (Room 606) – time slots are available this week! Our Academic Coaching team (Mrs. Weakland, Mr. Smith, Mrs. Kulp, Mr. Hatcher, Mrs. Calles, and Mrs. Mattsson) are ready to support YOU in the way YOU choose! YOU decide date and time of appointment, frequency of appointments (3x is recommended!), length of appointment, and the content of appointment.
Use the ACADEMIC COACHING QR CODES posted throughout the building and outside teachers’ classrooms to secure an appointment with one of our AWESOME Academic Coaches!
Let’s clear the air and protect what we love! Drop in for an evening of aerial yoga and environmental awareness. This event will take place on Saturday, February 22 at The Yoga Cove Concord. All are welcome! We will be hosting 4 sessions, starting at 5:00, 5:30, 6:00, and 6:30 pm. Admission price is $12 for one 30 minute session. The funds from this event will be donated to Sustain Charlotte, a local non-profit that supports and inspires our world’s citizens to live healthy, sustainable lives. We hope you will consider joining us! To register, click on the link below:
Together, we can make a world of difference.
Emily Busby and Sara Trufant
RHO KAPPA, Social Studies Honor Society is the only national organization for high school juniors and seniors that recognizes excellence in the field of Social Studies. RHO KAPPA provides national recognition and opportunities for exploration in the social studies.
The mission and purpose of this organization is:
- to promote scholarship and to recognize academic excellence in social studies in secondary school environments and the community.
- to provide through its local chapters opportunities for exploration in the social studies in secondary school environments and the community.
- to encourage interest in, understanding of, and appreciation for the social studies.
Candidates for membership should:
- Have been in attendance at the school in which the chapter resides for the equivalent of one semester prior to being considered.
- Have completed four semesters of courses in the field of social studies and be prepared to complete at least six semesters. The minimum grade point average for these courses is a weighted 3.67 or the numerical equivalent.
- Have an overall cumulative unweighted GPA of 3.5 or the numerical equivalent.
- Have a proven track record of interest and participation in service-related activities.
- Have a proven track record of strong attendance and positive contribution to a community of learning in a social studies classroom.
If you meet the requirements listed above, please request an application from Ms. Harley at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 31 January 2020 at 3 pm. Applications are due no later than 13 February 2020 at 3pm. Questions? Speak with any Social Studies teacher.
Seniors, Juniors and Sophomores are invited to sign-up on Naviance Student to visit with College Admission Representatives coming to Cannon School. Students must get permission from their classroom teachers prior to attending an admissions event. Students who need assistance accessing their Naviance account or registering for college visits should contact their college counselor.
3/24: University of North Carolina at Wilmington and Baylor University